Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fellow "Foes"

Foe by Coatzee, based loosely on the classic Robinson Crusoe, guides the reader deep into the psyche of an author, taking liberties and license in the process of crafting a unique story, a tale of desperate searching and of survival, sending symbolic messages about social isolation, domination, colonialism. The writer of the novel, Coatzee, introduces a woman into the story to give the reader a new perspective. Susan approaches Foe (based on Daniel DeFoe)with a request that he write her story because she feels he is a famous writer, and will do it justice.The character, Foe, has become a recluse, and is avoiding the bill collectors. Therefore he does not receive most of the letters Susan writes telling her story as a castaway on a desert island. Foe does not seem to care about much of anything; he appears to be a misanthrope, although he welcomes Susan and Friday, a slave, into his home, once they finally track him down.

2 comments:

dylconnor said...

Just checking in to say that this blog looks great and I am excited to contribute to the discussion, which I will do when I have digested a good chunk of the book. Thanks Nancy for setting this up. I am glad to be a FOE.

Julian said...

Nancy, i agree with Dylan, the blog looks amazing, i'm so glad that we found someone with technological knowledge. i just received my books in the mail a few days ago, but i'm enjoying Foe so far, it seems likes its going to be an interesting storyline